Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blog Awards!

WOW!  So, in short time here, I have received multiple blog awards from my wonderful foodie friends!  I feel incredibly honored that they bestowed these awards on me, and it is definitely heartwarming to feel loved.  Sort of like a cyber-hug, or maybe a pat on the back for working hard to make this blog a special place for food-lovers and new friends.  


On that note, first I want to thank Julie over at Mommie Cooks! for giving me the Beautiful Blogger Award!  Her blog is wonderful, and her three adorable little boys look like bundles of joy with smiling faces.  I like her food because it is approachable, yet elegant (check out her recent Black and Blue Sorbet!), and did I mention she sometimes includes photos of her cute-as-pie children? :) Thanks so much Julie!  


beautiful-blogger-everyday-kings.jpg

I can't be entirely sure, but it seems as though I am supposed to share this with 5 other bloggers, and then post a few random facts about myself.  So here goes!


First off, I would like to share this award with the following: 


1. The Baking Barrister: Ah, how could I know that she would pass an award on to me when I had already planned to pass this one on to her?  Obviously great minds think alike. :)  Check out her blog, and you will immediately be greeted by the most perfect giraffe cookies you have ever seen, plus witty repartee to make you smile.  

2. Chef Wannabe:  All of her food is beautiful.  All of it.  Her encouraging comments on my posts, and her willingness to share my self pity during gloomy So Cal days has made her one of my favorites!  I am jealous of her rustic wooden table and her lovely trinkets. 


3. Spicy Perspective: Both the food she cooks and her accounts of life experiences seem very real and down to earth.  Whether Sommer is talking about her family, her neighborhood, or her most recent meal, she is just someone you inherently want to like.    


4. Lemons and Anchovies: Jean's blog reminds me a lot of my own, like seeing a twin sister. :)  I think many of her feelings about food are similar to mine, though she seems to have cuter plates and more patterned linens which makes for interesting and good looking food styling! 


5. Delicious Delicious Delicious: A fellow competitor in the Not So Humble Pie contest, Mr. P is not afraid to make cupcakes and cookies with glee, and his photos are clean and bright.  The pink text on his pages makes me happy. 




And second, a few random things that make The Cilantropist special:

- I do my best to be ecologically conscious.  This means recycling, buying from local farmers markets, and even using non-chemical methods to de-pest my plants (more to come on this in a later post). 


-I am not just a scientist by profession, but it really is the core of my being.  I think much of my life is a crazy experiment, which thankfully has yielded great results so far. :)  As a kid, my parents definitely nurtured my fascination with biology, and a series of great teachers developed my passion.  Now, I experiment constantly in the kitchen (making recipes exactly according to the instructions is the exception rather than the rule), and I am always fascinated by plants, small bugs, animals, and all things biological.  I really like to follow the life cycles of things and watch them grow, and this includes warm blooded mammals like little babies too. 


-Despite loving biology and being able to closely examine things that may make weaker folk squirm, I am a big sissy when it comes to my own blood.  I come pretty close to passing out when I see my own blood, and due to the fact that I am pretty accident prone, this happens more than I would like.  (Wait til you see my next post...)


-I LOVE to travel.  My list of places I would like to visit is miles long, although I have traveled to some great places so far.  Close to home (ie. the USA), some of my favorites are Chicago, San Francisco, Death Valley, and Hawaii (all the islands); far from home, I sometimes think I left a chunk of my heart in Australia and New Zealand when I studied abroad there, and I love love love Paris.  And of course, I can't forget Norway!


-Living here in Southern California, I sometimes complain about the few gloomy days we have, but I secretly miss the real weather and seasons that I grew up with in Ohio.  I long for the crashing thunder and lightning of a good thunderstorm; when even a little bit of rain falls in San Diego, we just have car accidents and leaking buildings.  I also miss the changing colors of the leaves in the fall. 


-I was obsessed with pickles as a child.  I could literally eat a whole jar in one sitting.  Sick, I know.  Why my mother let me do this, I have no idea; at the time I was too thrilled to care. 



Ok!  Enough about me for right now, before I close this post full of self-disclosure and blog appreciation, I need to thank one more person.  The Baking Barrister also gave me not one, but TWO, blog awards!  I was thrilled to receive these from her, and it is great to get accolades from someone you respect and like already.  She is great for all the reasons I listed above, but now I love her even more because she wrote a whole post about about food dedicated to the season premiere of True Blood.  I pretty obsessed with that show myself (even one more reason why I am special), and I would tell you to get HBO just so you can watch it.  She even made pizza with ooozy, bloody beets.  I think this is outstanding.  So, many thanks to her for these blog awards, and I promise to include my list of recipients in my next post plus 10 things that make me happy. 



4686733332_211f74ea94_o.jpg4686733352_c954906be2_o.jpg

24 comments:

  1. I'm up much later than usual (can't sleep) and what did I find on my RSS feed page? A flattering compliment from a friend! Thank you so much. I am truly honored! It feels good to know someone appreciates what you do!

    And thanks for the personal details. Other than the scientific mindset, we have a lot in common. I too, had a pickle fetish as a child! I still find myself fighting the urge to douse everything with salt and vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved Australia. I would LOVE to go to Paris. And what a cool list of blogs! I'm familiar with some of 'em but was new to others. Congratulations, congratulations bloggers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the blog award and thank you for sharing your five favorites. I loved reading the random facts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much and congrats on the other awards!

    I, too, am amused by So Cal's inability to handle rain. I'm from here, and I think it's absolutely absurd that people freak out and the news channels act like the apocalypse has come. This is doubly true after living in the Midwest for law school where it snows and rainstorms cause flooding. Not that people there drove any better.

    And New Zealand is amazing. And so is True Blood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the award, you deserve it. Your blog is very refreshing to read and look at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your awards, I also miss real weather. Just visited my mom in Shadyside ohio and all the rain was refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww Amanda, you are too kind, thank you so much for think about my blog, and I'm with great company. I have a little secret to share with you...the rustic wooden table is just a scrap of wood from Home Depot you go to the lamber aisle and there is a place where they sell just some scraps of wood, then I painted it. I actually bought few and painted different colors. See....I live in Hollywood is the land of make believe. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your well-deserved award! I am so very flattered that you included me on your award list. I've always wanted a twin sister, so I'll consider you my foodie-twin! And don't let those plates fool you about my lifestyle--casual all the way. Those are just odds and ends I've collected over time. :-)

    By the way, I've been to Death Valley and all the Hawaiian Islands, too. So cool.

    Thanks so much again. Your blog is a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a great blogger and deserve those awards! Congrats! And aren't food bloggers the nicest people in the world?! I think it's all the sugar we consume; we can't *help* but be sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You so deserve it! Your blog is amazing! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself; I enjoyed reading about you. It turns out we have a few things in common - my degree was zoology (close enough right?), and Norway is next on my list of places to visit. I've heard it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much! (I think the pink text makes my blog!)

    Don't think nominating me means I am no longer jealous that you can make prettier savoiardi than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the award!! You totally deserve it! I love your blog, you write so well and take beautiful pictures; I look forward to your new posts all the time. Keep 'em coming!

    I also had a little thing for pickles when I was younger. I would put them on peanut butter sandwiches, a la Kinsey Millhone, my favorite fictional character. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on award...well deserved:) Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! This is such a nice post... it makes you feel like taking stock of things and re-evaluating them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your awards. They are much deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your awards! You have a great blog!!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!! You do do a beautiful job :) Also, I had the same pickle obsession as a child and my mom also let me eat an entire jar on too many occassions to count... cheers to us pickle lovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congras on the awards! You deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete