Monday, October 4, 2010

Leek Confit and Goat Cheese Crostini, Topped with Asian Pear



It is Monday morning and that means voting is OPEN for round three of Project Food Blog!  If you haven't already, be sure to check out my entry for this third challenge, A Luxury Dinner, with Leeks, Lemon, and Lamb; if you love my dinner party (and maybe wish you had been invited!) please vote for me!  It is just as simple as following the link and clicking on the heart to show your love.  I appreciate all your votes and kind comments so much, and I am having a fantastic time sharing great food with you in Project Food Blog.  I hope I can continue!   

So for anyone just tuning in, my dinner party included 4 courses as listed here:

In my main post detailing my dinner party, I shared the recipe for my second course: Cauliflower Soup with Seared Scallops, Lemon Oil, and Caviar.  This was my favorite dish from my dinner, but the Leek and Goat Cheese Crostini were a close second!  I think I liked the crostini so much because they were extremely easy to assemble, and the flavors and textures were spot on.      


The french bread is toasted in the oven, which gives it a great flavor and crunch.  Then it is topped with cool, creamy goat cheese; I find goat cheese to have such a clean, earthy flavor and the perfect amount of bitter tang, which makes it one of my favorite cheeses.  After spreading the goat cheese on the bread, each crostini is topped with a generous spoonful of the warm leek confit, followed by the Asian Pear and paprika.  I loooooved it.  (I might have even saved a tiny bit of all the ingredients so I could make it again for myself later. Shh... That was a secret.)


And before I leave you after this weekend of whirlwind luxury cooking, I just want to say one last quick word about this leek confit.  

Please make it.  It is fabulous.  I never dreamed it would be so good!  Somehow the common leek gets transformed into a luscious texture and taste that is out of this world.  The confit is so delicious, and shockingly creamy, I almost ate it all when I was preparing it the day before.  I reasoned that since it was so easy to make, that it was logical to just whip up a second batch for myself.  (Wouldn't you think the same?)  At the time, I talked myself out of it, but I can promise you that it is on my list to make again this week. 

I will say it again, please make it.  It is the easiest, most delicious, and versatile thing I have ever cooked. Can you think of other uses for the leek confit?  I know I can...



Leek Confit and Goat Cheese Crostini, Topped with Asian Pear and Smoked Paprika

Leek Confit (makes about 1 cup): 
2 leeks, white and pale green parts
2 tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp water
Salt to taste

1 french baguette, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 4-5.5 ounce package goat cheese (without herbs or garlic)
1 medium Asian pear, cut similarly to batons, or 1/4 inch rectangular slices (see photo); could also do small dice if you prefer 
Smoked paprika

First, make leek confit.  Prepare leeks by cutting lengthwise in half, then cutting each half crosswise into 1/4-1/2 inch slices.  Be sure your leeks are clean of dirt, and rinse if necessary.  To make confit, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat, then add leeks, water, and just a pinch of salt.  Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  When the leeks are cooked properly, they should be creamy and soft.  If any water remains, remove the lid of the pan, and stir over medium heat to evaporate.  Leek confit can be served immediately, or can be cooled and refrigerated overnight or up to one week.  

To make crostini, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Lightly brush one side of cut french bread slices with olive oil, and place on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake for 5-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your bread.  Remove the crostini from the oven; when cool to the touch, spread each crostini with goat cheese, then top with leek confit, followed by two pieces of Asian pear.  Sprinkle lightly with smoked paprika, and serve immediately.   

29 comments:

  1. Sounds so delicious! It looks like you had quite the party, I wish I could have been there! The next best thing is to pass a vote your way so I'm heading over to do just that now.

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you'd post this recipe :) Loooks delicious! I'm always looking for new ways to try leeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What yummy crostini, looks delicious. Good luck in this round. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tasty! Love the combination of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I needed something to do with leftover goat cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goat cheese is a staple in this house, thanks for a great recipe to try! You always get my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds so delicious! I loved your entry and it was the dinner party I wish I had attended most:) I love the yellow napkins, table decorations and the whole menu was right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought leeks a few days ago, this looks fantastic, along with your whole meal! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love asian pears! especially by themselves but when paired with the ingredients you've presented it sounds amazing! I love how sweet and refreshing they are but I can definitely see how it complements your other flavors well!

    AMAZING!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the ingredients are easy to get for me.
    Thanks for the fantastic recipe.^*

    ReplyDelete
  11. These crostinis sound like a delicious combinations of flavors with the goat cheese, pears and leeks. Nicely done and lovely presentation. Perfect with a glass of white wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. outstanding recipe as always--I'll put goat cheese on just about anything. This looks super tasty (and a decadent enough to impress company)! Good luck with the Foodbuzz competition!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paprikas on pears... never thought of that combination. Looks delectable! I love easy to put together dishes and appetizers. I will surely make this in my kitchen. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leeks and goat cheese, two of my favorites! You have my vote :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a unique take on the usual, boring, bruschetta. And a leek confit...swoon. I can smell my kitchen already.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crostini are one of my favorite appetizers, and these look fantastic. I love the pears with the savory flavors. Wonderful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for the recipe, i made it today for brunch, my husband (who doesn't like leek) loved it and asked for seconds, this weekend I'm going to farmer's market to get some more leek, yumm

    ReplyDelete
  18. gringarl: I am so glad you liked it! I was actually thinking about making it again myself, since I have some leeks leftover from another recipe.

    ReplyDelete

  19. gamekiller
    gamekiller app
    game killer
    gamekiller apk
    gamekiller download

    which is the best model on the market and the health benefits of using a Best Massager Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  20. دون التسبب في أي أضرار للأثاث أو كسر أو أي شيء فتأكد عزيزي الزبون نرغب في أن نطمئنك ونزيل عن عاتقك كل المشكلات المرتبطة بنقل اثاث منزلك وجميع متعلقاتك من مقر إلى موضع أخر فلا تترد عزيزي الزبون وسارع بالاتصال فشركتنا علي جاهزية تامة بجميع الممارسات المرتبطة بنقل الأثاث بأي توقيت.
    شركة نقل عفش
    شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى جدة
    شركة نقل عفش من الرياض الى جدة
    شركة نقل عفش بالجبيل

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shadow Creation is the process to change the color of an image or video..Shadow Creation It means correcting the lighting, white color balance, red or blue color balance, so that the image looks more clear or natural

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shadow Creation is the process to change the color of an image or video..Shadow Creation It means correcting the lighting, white color balance, red or blue color balance, so that the image looks more clear or natural

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Tvs

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Miter Saw

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Air Conditioner

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Bread Maker

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Chairs

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Coffee Maker

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Cooker

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Cooktop

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Coolers

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Espresso Machine

    ReplyDelete