Thursday, October 28, 2010

Spiced Pear and Cranberry Pocket Pies



When I was little, I remember eagerly waiting for my dad to come home from grocery shopping.  He would unload all the big bags full of fruits, vegetables, and canned goods, and I would always be peeking to spy the inevitable sweet treat that he had snuck in with the rest of the healthy groceries.  We didn't eat many 'gourmet' foods back then (this was in the pre-foodie era), so the sugary surprise might have been some Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies, or maybe some Swiss Rolls, and I can remember eating Entenmann's Raspberry Danishes on dozens of occasions.  I would usually gobble up a slice of Entenmann's danish after school, but those plastic-wrapped Little Debbie treats usually made their way into my lunch bag since they were perfectly portable.

And speaking of wrapped, lunchbox treats, I can't forget about all the Hostess Fruit Pies that I used to eat!  My memory of whether or not we had fruit pies at home is slightly foggy, but I do know that I could get them with my lunch if I ordered from the school cafeteria.  I remember I could never quite decide which flavor to get, but I could be sure that the filling would be super sweet, oozing, and not at all 'made with real fruit.'  The pie 'crust' was waxy, chewy, and also laden with sugar.  As a kid, this was exactly the way I wanted it.  

Nowadays, I prefer more adult-type treats, but that doesn't mean I need to completely shake off my childhood addiction to snack cakes.  For grown-ups and kids alike, a dessert that will give you the tasty goodness of a slice of pie in a compact hand-held form is delicious and just plain fun.  Plus, there is the added aspect that it is yours, and only yours; it is your own personal pocket pie and you don't have to share it with anyone.         





For my very non-Hostess type fruit pie, I wanted to use a real pie crust, and also have a more legit fruit filling.  And when I say legit, I mean I wanted it to have actual fruit inside, and no ooze.  

If you have never had a Hostess Fruit Pie before, I might need to describe this further for clarification: The filling in the Hostess Pies is more like fruit 'gel.'  It is thick and syrupy, most likely due to a high amount of corn syrup (which makes it taste fabulous to children, and some adults).  There might be some actual bits of fruit disguised in there, but frankly, I doubt it.  If you were to spoon out some of the filling and throw it at your wall (because of course, this would be a totally normal thing to do), I bet it would stick there like glue.  Yes, it is that thick, and kids can't seem to get enough of it.

However, this was not the way I wanted the filling for my pocket pies to be, so I made sure to use all natural ingredients.  For starters, how about these awesome red bartlett pears?  Their crimson color was so beautiful that I could not resist them, and they were softer and sweeter than their pale green cousins.  The 'soft,' ripe pears were essential for the recipe I had in mind, because I did not want to cook or boil down my filling.    


To literally spice up the pear filling for fall, I mixed the minced pears with orange  flavored cranberries from Trader Joe's (these imparted amazing flavor), organic dark brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and cloves.  I didn't cook it down, but rather just mixed the fruit to let it macerate and then used it to fill my pie rounds.   


As I mentioned, I wanted to use real thing for my pie crusts, so these pocket pies are made with my go-to all-butter pastry dough that I use for most of my pies.  It is buttery (obviously), flaky, and utter perfection.  I am blindly in love and blissfully happy with this crust, and would never dream of cheating on my love with another.  Don't even try to tempt me, I am resolute.  But the best part??  This dough is so incredibly easy to make with a food processor, that with practice you can have soft, smooth dough in just five minutes.  (I am not kidding, I made the dough when my friend was over for dinner, and it literally took me five minutes.) 


 Actually, in all seriousness, speed is key when you are working with all-butter pastry dough for two reasons. First, you want to be quick when bringing the dough together in the processor because taking more time will overwork the dough and result in unpalatable toughness.  Second, when you take the dough out of the processor and work it by hand, only do this for just a minute or two, since the heat from your hands will warm the dough and make it sticky.  

And check it out: Who says you even need to use real cookie cutters to make pie rounds; I used the fine rim of a drinking glass and it worked great!              


Finally, to package up these adorable pear pocket pies, I couldn't resist placing them in individual bags tied with raffia and a few sprigs of fresh thyme.  A pocket pie in plastic wrapping was definitely a throw-back to the Hostess Fruit Pies of my youth, but more importantly, they were protected during their 'travel' to a picnic lunch with my friend and also on a domestic flight back to Ohio this weekend.  But alright, I really can't deny that I also wanted to amp up the cute factor even more.  Can you blame me? 

Overall, I was throughly pleased with these pies.  I dare say that I was tickled pink!  My first efforts (where my dough was thicker and my filling was more chunky) were definitely good, but with some tweaking of my recipe and baking time, they transformed from good to fabulous.  The pastry crust was flaky, and the rich, buttery taste complimented the spiced pear and cranberry really well.  The filling was soft but definitely not oozing, and when you took a big bite out of the pocket pie there was no mess.  

I think this might be one of the most well-rounded desserts I have ever made, that would be perfect for so many occasions and purposes: 
-Boxed up in a care package to send to a college student
-Given as a gift for the holiday season
-Spread out on a platter for Thanksgiving dinner
-And of course... wrapped up and placed in a child's lunch box.  What little (or big) girl or boy wouldn't love to have one of these as a surprise at lunchtime.  I know I would.          


**Also, don't forget to vote for my Picnic at the Presidio for Challenge 6 of Project Food Blog!  Today is the last day for voting and I would very much appreciate your vote.  Thanks so much for supporting and encouraging me this far!


Spiced Pear and Cranberry Pocket Pies

Although I used pear and cranberry to fill these pies, you could really tuck almost any fruit or savory filling you want inside.  The key is to keep the liquid level low, so that the bottom layer of dough doesn't become soggy during or after baking.  Let your imagination run wild!

All butter-pastry dough:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick of butter, cold, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4-5 tablespoons of ice cold water

Spiced Pear and Cranberry Filling:
3/4 lbs (for me this was 2) sweet, ripe pears; I used Red Bartlett
1/2 cup orange-flavored dried cranberries from Trader Joes (or, plain dried cranberries plus zest from one orange)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp brown sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tsp water
1/4 cup milk

First made dough.  In a food processor, add the flour and salt and pulse just once or twice to mix.  Add in all the cubes of butter, and pulse until it is all incorporated and the mixture resembles coarse, dry sand (just a minute or so).  Add 4 tablespoons of the ice cold water, and pulse just until the dough comes together (only a few times).  Squeeze and a bit of the dough between your fingertips: If it doesn't hold together, add more ice water 1/2 tablespoon at a time until it is soft and sticks together.  I find 4 tablespoons is usually perfect for me. 

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and work with your hands for only a minute or two to evenly distribute butter (remember, keep this quick so the heat from your hands doesn't warm the butter in the dough). Roll dough into a ball, then flatten into a 5-inch disk. Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, make the filling.  Peel and mince the pears, then mix with the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.   Let fruit sit for 15 minutes to macerate.

To make pies, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Dust a clean surface with flour, and roll out the dough very thinly (the thinner the better).  Use a round cutter, or the rim of a drinking glass, to cut 3-3 1/2 inch rounds from the dough.  (The dough should make 12 rounds (for 6 pies) but you will need to re-roll the dough at least once or twice to cut them all out.)  Place one round on the parchment-lined baking sheet, and carefully place about 2 heaping tablespoons of filling in the center of the round, making sure to leave the edges clean.  Lightly brush the edges with the beaten egg, then top with a second dough round; press the edges together gently with your fingertips, then press completely together using the tines of a fork.  Use a sharp knife to make a few slits in the top for venting.  Repeat for the remaining pie rounds.

Just before baking, brush the top of each pocket pie with a little bit of milk, then bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 25-27 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.  

**I know for sure these keep for at least two days in an airtight container, but beyond that, I can't tell you. ;) I plan to make some more and try freezing them, but for now, I would recommend eating them right away!

55 comments:

  1. Too funny! I grew up on Little Debbie Swiss Rolls and Oatmeal Cream Pies and Hostess Snacks and LOVED them; in fact, for old times sakes, we bought a box of the Oatmeal Cream Pies on our last trip home! Sweeter than I remember but so yummy! And I was waiting for your recipe for these fantastic pies! Husband will go nuts for the pear filling! I must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pocket pies are not only adorable, and so nicely wrapped for travelling or gift-giving, but they really look SO delicious!! Great job, and good luck with the rest of PFB :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just too cute! I love having induvidual sweet treats. I guess that what's so damn appealing about cupcakes- not having to share with anyone else! Thanks for this recipe- they're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *loved* Hostess Fruit Pies as a kid. Sometime during college, I was at a gas station and saw them for the first time in years. "Oh my god!!," I said, "I LOVE these!" Out of habit, I flipped the package over to look at the nutritional information. It was so astoundingly awful that I almost threw the little pie back on the shelf. And that was the end of that. :)

    These, though....these look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to eat those hostess fruit pies too! I look at the nutritional info and ingredients now and can't believe that that's what my mom gave me and my siblings for breakfast. It's horrible! I would MUCH rather have had some of your adorable individually wrapped pocked pies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was excited about this recipe as soon as I read the picnic post...and its finally here! Awesome as always :) And the adorable packaging makes them that much better.

    Yay for single-serving fruit pies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda these are PERFECT!! I can't wait to make these!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your picnic was another great post for the PFB...I was waiting for this hand pie recipe. Best of luck! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pies looks yummy and a beautiful packaging! Oh I have voted for you and hope to vote for you again the next round. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are CUTE and BEAUTIFUL at the same time! and I love the individual wrapping!! :D

    my favorite pie crust is also all - butter... SO good...

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are gorgeous. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. And surely much more tasty and better for you than the Hostess version. It's funny, what we thought were treats as kids that we wouldn't touch now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you ever knooow that you're my heeeeroooo.... and everything III would like to beee??

    ReplyDelete
  13. I luv these little pocket pies with fresh fruit goodness. You make them look so perfect and packaged so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness....this was my favorite entry of yours in the picnic food blog post. this is a perfect one for those who like their own individual sweet treats! thanks for recipe, will make for kids someday. the wrapping is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tiny pies are the best. :) These look so cute- delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What gorgeous pies. I love pear and cranberry.

    I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new baking photo gallery showcasing the best baking, sweets and desserts on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely fruit pie. Love the whole presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure they tasted heavenly! I totally remember those fruit pies :) Oh the good ole days of hostess ha These are much more appetizing and probably way better for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous fruit pies! Flaky crust and chunky filling... yes please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute idea. I always find myself throwing out pie because we never finish it. Next time I am baking fresh pies and I for sure going with pocket pies! These would be a delicious treat for the grand babies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to love Hostess treats, then we moved to the Philly area and I found tastycakes...sigh...they were wonderful! Your little pear cranberry pies look delicious, that wonderful buttery crust..yum
    Great job with the packaging too, they are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Little Debbies were the treat of choice in our house growing up as well. Needless to say, your pocket pie looks a million times better.

    Congrats on advancing to the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are so cute! I love the packaging, and would love to get such a pretty and tasty gift. *hint, hint* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you were in Cleveland?! you should have emailed/called! next time you are in town we will have to do dinner! these look amazing! can't wait to try one out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look so delicious and comforting...and nowhere near as fattening or sugar coma inducing as the Hostess pies! Love it!

    And your photos in this post are just marvelous! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing amazing recipe! I'm not much of a baker but I always wanted a recipe for pie dough. Looks so cute, homey, and just a lovely November recipe

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your little pies are adorable! There's something wonderful about food that's good to eat and to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those looks delicious! It was great meeting you at FoodBuzz this weekend. Hope you had a great time! Can't wait to see what you post next!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my goodness, these look delicious! must try these soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, these look delicious!! I am definitely going to give these a try! Great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I figured these would be really good - and I always make pies for Thanksgiving! Now this will be nice for the large family we have Thanksgiving with - and easy for them to grab one since they are individual! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

  32. نصائح لتخزين العفش

    من التحف التي لا تناسب تماما الديكور الخاص بك، إلى العناصر التي تقوم بحفظ لأطفالك، فإنه من السهل للأثاث لخلق فوضى. بدلا من وجود هذه القطع الثمينة تأخذ مساحة قيمة في منزلك، قد يكون الوقت قد حان للتحرك تلك في حالة جيدة إلى منزل خاص بهم.
    ارقام شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
    التخزين الذاتي يوفر لك في الغرفة التي تحتاجها للحفاظ على الأثاث تحب، حين كنت في وقت واحد إزالة فوضى من منزلك. أدناه، نسلط الضوء أربع خطوات أساسية لإعداد بنجاح وحماية قطع الأثاث للحصول على التخزين الذاتي على المدى الطويل.
    1. نظيفة والإعدادية
    شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بجدة
    قبل تخزين الأثاث الخاص، وإعطاء كل عنصر نظيف شامل. تبدأ من خلال مسح أسفل القطع بقطعة قماش جديدة. ثم، استخدام منظف مناسب لنوع من المواد (المعادن والخشب والزجاج وغيرها)، ومسح أسفل مرة أخرى لطبقة إضافية من الحماية.
    حقين شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
    كخطوة نهائية، والسماح للبند التنفس في منطقة جيدة التهوية ويجف تماما. وهذا ضمان عدم وجود بقع من الرطوبة المحاصرين يمكن أن تتواجد على البند الخاص بك كما كنت تغطية وتغليف قطعة للتخزين. يمكن بقع الرطوبة المحاصرين تترك وحدها تلف البند الخاص بك على مر الزمن، وخلق علامات تغير لونها.
    2. تفكيك لسهولة النقل
    شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
    لأكبر البنود، مثل الأزياء، الأسرة والطاولات والارائك، الإعدادية لنقل أكثر سلاسة. يمزق قطعة قبل رحلة كبيرة إلى وحدة تخزين ليخفف من العبء الخاص بك.
    على سبيل المثال، وإزالة الساقين من الجداول والأرائك، واخراج الأدراج من الأزياء وسائد من الأرائك، وإزالة ألواح من هياكل الأسرة. مجموعة، والتفاف وتسمية هذه القطع معا لبقاء المنظمة.
    3. تغطية وحماية
    محلات شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
    كقاعدة عامة، وتجنب المواد حزمة من البلاستيك عندما يكون ذلك ممكنا، لأنها يمكن أن خنق بعض المواد مثل الخشب والأقمشة. هذا يمكن أن يؤدي إلى التكثيف أو غير سارة الروائح في وحدتك. بدلا من ذلك، استخدم الملابس قطرة أو الأغطية والملاءات أو البطانيات للحفاظ على الغبار بعيدا والسماح للهواء بالتوزيع.




    ReplyDelete
  33. الصراصير وما أدراك بالضرر التي تسببه تلك الحشرة سواء كان رعب وخوف العديد منها لأنها تعد من الحشرات المقززة سريعة الحركة والتي تتحرك دائما وعلى مدار الساعة فالصراصير تتجول بين الأماكن المتسخة وتقوم بالحركة دائما بالأماكن التي يتواجد بها الأغذية.
    شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالخبر
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
    شركة رش مبيدات بالخبر
    ارخص شركة مكافحة حشرات

    ReplyDelete
  34. kingroot for pc
    kingroot pc
    download kingroot pc
    kingroot apk
    kingoroot
    kingroot download
    Thanks for the post, it was a great blog. It really helps us how to improve our concentration power. Keep post more blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello dear, nice article and i used this into my work json

    ReplyDelete
  36. Open apk files on several devices with adequate information from my website

    ReplyDelete
  37. Learn how to open MKV files here
    https://openmkvfiles.com/
    https://openmkvfiles.com/
    https://openmkvfiles.com/

    ReplyDelete